On-Demand Stream Library
ALERT: Please click the calendar date or listen now button for a listing of On-Demand Streams!
BERNIE SANDERS: TIME TO HIT THE ROAD Hear Tom tell you why Bernie Sanders and his supporters have been wasting their time, why it's time to end his campaign, and why it's time for #BernieBros to accept Joe Biden into their lives.
From The New York Times: ‘It’s Just Everywhere Already’: How Delays in Testing Set Back the U.S. Coronavirus Response
From ABC News: Official: White House didn't want to tell seniors not to fly
From The New York Times: Bernie Sanders Will Remain in Race
Last time we had a "youth candidate" as a nominee (in 1972), see what happened to George McGovern.
Agree or disagree? Now is the time to tell Tom why: email@example.com.
HOW TOM IS PROTECTING HIMSELF AGAINST CORONAVIRUS? Tom assures you that this is a real thing. Why does he believe this, despite reassurances from our President? Where is Tom going? What precautions are he taking? What does this prove about Tom's lifelong attitude towards money? What can you do about this pandemic yourself?
Tom warned you that a recession was coming in 2020. Many listeners angrily denied it. Yet the coronavirus is exposing the house of cards on which the economy currently based. Here's the proof that a recession is actually coming.
Here's proof that the White House has been lying about the real dangers of the coronavirus.
Here's proof that the president's real agenda is to keep up the appearance that all is good.
From The New York Times: Life in Seattle, America’s Coronavirus Capital
What are your thoughts about coronavirus? Tell Tom: firstname.lastname@example.org.
TOM FOILS AN INTRUDER! And he did it from his hotel room in Daytona Beach. Find out NOW what happened! Are YOU a security camera voyeur?
Tell Tom about your security camera experience: email@example.com.
EVEN MORE RENT CONTROL? A renter's group in Santa Ana, CA thinks California's rent control doesn't go far enough! So they're trying to get a measure on the ballot that will limit rent increases to only 3% or just 80% of the rate of inflation. What about the property rights of the people who own rental properties including many middle class families?
How do you feel about rent control? Tell Tom directly: firstname.lastname@example.org.
WOW! THE DOW DROPS OVER 1,000 POINTS What do we do now? Find out what Tom did as a result, and what YOU should do. Also, find out what you SHOULDN'T do now!
Got money questions? Send them here and Tom will be happy to answer them on an upcoming episode: email@example.com.
WHY DO SO MANY PEOPLE HATE BILLIONAIRES? Tom says you need to face it: the fact that so many of us hate billionaires is a reflection of ourselves! Will your vote in the 2020 election be influenced by how you feel about billionaires?
Here's the op-ed piece in The New York Times that got Tom thinking about this subject.
How do you feel about billionaires? Let Tom know: firstname.lastname@example.org.
FROM THE VAULT: ANOTHER 1980 EPISODE OF THE ORIGINAL BE FUNNY This is where it all started. Tom was 24 in New York City and buried in a very late-night radio slot where he had the freedom to develop the ultimate freeform call-in show. Full of original content and characters you've never heard before! There was no screener or producer, so this show is about as raw as it gets!
Long silences came from hitting the dump button so when you hear silence, that's why! This episode ended abruptly because, well...it was 1980 and the old-school cassette ran out! This show is from almost 40 years ago in New York City and so here's an annotation guide so you'll understand all the references:
- Aunt Marie. She's the aunt most of us have: the one usually holding a highball or a whiskey sour and chainsmoking Pall Malls. Her smoker's laugh let's you know she's an old school partier!
- Tom Carvel. Originator of a regional soft ice cream chain somewhat like Dairy Queen with a gravelly voice who used to blanket the Northeast with gravelly TV commercials.
- Mr. Tim. The guy who sits in the studio and laughs in the background.
- The Rootin' Tootin' Cowboy. "What ahhhhhhh you?" He's a Puerto Rican cowpoke. One of the few!
- Don Cannon. Legendary Philadelphia morning DJ who Tom had once met in person at his local radio station (WPAC/Patchogue, NY) years earlier in his career. A listener called in and played a tape of his radio segment called Showbiz.
- Long John Nebel. Legendary late-night New York call-in host. He was dead by this time, but we had a great imitator. And many callers playing tapes of crank calls to his show from back when he was alive!
- Barry Farber. Another longtime late-night New York call-in radio host.
- Phil Rizzuto. One-time New York Yankee shortstop and, later, Yankee play-by-play announcer.
- Cousin Brucie. Longtime New York DJ who now, at 85, can still be heard on Sirius/XM to this day.
- Luba Potamkin. Very Jewish wife who inherited her late husband's New York-area Cadillac dealership and the TV commercials that went with it.
- Gary Null. Health food host on WBAI, author of many books about natural eating.
- Margot Adler. The host who followed Tom mornings on WBAI.
- Uncle Floyd. Kids' show host who emanated from a UHF station in New Jersey. Once mentioned in a David Bowie song. His brother, Jinny Vivino, was the longtime bandleader on Conan.
- Luis Tiant. One-time Cuban-born New York Yankees pitcher, known as "El Presidente".
Feel free to drop a line if you have questions about Classic Be Funny and let us know what you think: email@example.com.
MORE STORIES ABOUT CREEPING DEADBEATISM It's all around us! People borrowing money they can't afford to pay back, and the journalists who feel sorry for them! Plus, learn the reason why YOU shouldn't feel sorry for them.
Here's the Wall Street Journal article about car-buying deadbeats to which Tom refers in this episode.
Here's the CNBC article about student loan deadbeats to which Tom refers in this episode.
How do you feel about deadbeats? Tell Tom: firstname.lastname@example.org.